One Hour DIY Home Improvement Ideas You Can Do This Weekend
When you have some extra time on a weekend, you may be eager to take on a home improvement project but not something that’s going to hijack the weekend and still not be done when you start work on Monday.
You will be surprised at what DIY home projects you can accomplish in an hour, and more over a weekend.
Here 10 quick and easy DIY home improvement projects that you can complete in just one hour:
1. Replace Cabinet Hardware: Updating the hardware on your cabinets and drawers can give your kitchen or bathroom a fresh new look instantly. Home stores carry a large variety of pulls and handles, but if you want some character check out Anthropology or a local antique store for original and decorative pieces.
2. Paint an Accent Wall: Want a new bedroom in a weekend? Paint an accent wall. Painting just one wall in a room can add color and interest without the time commitment of painting the entire room. Buy some new accent pillows, throws and decorative pieces and voila! Okay, it may take more than an hour, but it will be worth it.
3. Install a New Light Fixture: Swapping out an old light fixture for a new one can brighten up a room and change the look and feel of a room. Adding decorative lamps is easy and quick. Ceiling lights can be a bit more tricky. Be sure to watch a YouTube video to learn how to do it safely or you can hire an expert to come do it for you. Thirty minutes to the store and back, thirty minutes installation. Done and done.
4. Hang Wall Art: Create a gallery wall by hanging a collection of framed photos, prints or paintings. Here are some great design inspirations that will help create a gallery feel that will captivate guests into really taking in your photos, art and more.
5. Install a New Showerhead: There is nothing better than a great shower. Upgrading your showerhead can make your shower experience more enjoyable, refreshing and something that you wake up for in anticipation. We love the variety of rain shower heads that offer a relaxing shower that is a return to nature.
6. Add a Backsplash: Dressing up your kitchen is a lot easier than you think. Installing a backsplash in your kitchen or bathroom can add texture, color, and protection. There are so many inventive types of backsplash options that also range in affordability. For the budget conscience, we love the metals. We like these from Home Depot. If you want to splurge, we recommend something with a graphic design or go clean with a neutral color tile. Pending the size of your kitchen, a one hour project might just be a backsplash behind the stove, where most of the splishing and splashing of grease and food ends up. Note: While the peel-and-stick backsplashes seem like a fun, quick alternative, we don’t recommend putting them in a place where there is a lot of heat as they may begin to “unpeel”.
7. Organize Your Closet: Do you spend more time in the morning with your head in the closet in search of a missing shoe? It may be time to reorganize not just for aesthetics but also to make your morning routine go a bit smoother. Spend an hour decluttering and organizing your closet. Install a few new shelves or organizers to make the most of your space. We love the versatility of cube squares and fabric storage bins, plus they come in so many sizes. Tip: Splurge for the middle road to high priced cube shelving otherwise it will fall apart quickly. Fabric bins offer the ability to customize with fin colors and designs.
8. Update Window Treatments: Bring life to your room with some window treatments that translate your style. As more of us have at home offices, it’s become just as important to customize your office space that inspires and motivates. The simplicity of installing new curtains or blinds can change the look of a room, provide privacy, and reduce cold and hot weather.
9. Install a New Faucet: Replacing an old or outdated faucet in your kitchen or bathroom can give it a modern look and reduce dripping that increases water bills over time. Plus the drip drip is super annoying. This is really an easy fix anyone can do. We recommend watching some videos on YouTube to learn and build your confidence. Then go to your favorite home store to find something within your budget. The great thing is that there are so many affordable, designer options that you shouldn’t wait.
Add Some Greenery: Bring some life to your space by adding a few potted plants or succulents. They can improve air quality, your home’s feng shui and chi. Studies show that plants in the home can reduce stress and improve health. They are also one of the easiest and most affordable ideas for enhancing your home. You can easily find affordable pots at a large home store and we recommend visiting your local Buy Nothing Facebook group to ask for free cuttings and remnants. You buy the pots and the soil and the plants a